In today’s environment, there has never been a better time to talk about e-commerce marketing! Savvy entrepreneurs understand that their business website and digital presence are just as important as their brick and mortar. A digital presence, supported by a strong e-commerce marketing strategy, will open up a business to the global market and create a competitive advantage. No matter what type of product or service you offer, the e-commerce platform is the most effective way to attract, engage, and retain customers.
Think About the Numbers
The numbers matter! An effective e-commerce marketing strategy requires understanding the numbers just like a brick and mortar marketing strategy. Let’s do some due diligence and touch on some of the numbers which will make a difference and make your e-commerce website stronger.
- E-commerce sales will account for 15.5% of all retail sales globally in 2020. This is the experience consumers demand.
- The number one reason consumers shop e-commerce sites is convenience. They can shop 24 hours a day, seven days a week when they are most comfortable.
- It is estimated that the number of digital buyers in 2020 will hit 2.05 billion. That is a great market to tap into and a great opportunity to create an e-commerce platform.
- By the end of 2019, nearly half of all small businesses in the United States did not have a website. This is simply the most stunning missed opportunity in small business.
Numbers create clarity. Stop and think for a moment about the digital marketplace and the opportunities which lay ahead of you. Customers today demand businesses have a website that is informative, compelling, and easy to use. This fact alone demands that your e-commerce strategies be strong and reach out to a global audience.
The basics of a solid marketing strategy remains the same, whether it is for a brick and mortar or a digital presence. The e-commerce marketplace requires a unique set of strategies and skills which are focused on the digital marketplace. It is a highly competitive environment and demands that you set yourself apart from the others in the herd and capture the consumer’s attention. Let’s talk about strategies!
- Content Marketing – Blogs, email marketing, and ebooks are the main tools available to promote your e-commerce business. Never underestimate the power of words! Take every opportunity to communicate with your customers on digital platforms. Be open to guest posting on other sites that are credible and relevant. Take advantage of opportunities for links back to your site to draw traffic.
- SEO Strategies – This is where it all begins. Make sure your website and product pages are fully optimized with keywords your customers are searching for. SEO techniques are crucial to site ranking, presence, and attracting the right digital audience.
- Customer Reviews – Always share customer reviews on your site and product pages. Don’t bury them in fine print at the bottom; they need to be seen! People want to see what others are experiencing. Be transparent.
- Social Media – This is where you can really connect, communicate, and share with the global community about your product or service. Take advantage of every opportunity to speak to the audience. Each social media platform has a unique purpose and a specific audience. Understand their strengths and how they best reach your target audience.
- Digital Advertising – You must pay to play! Social media platforms and web browsers are free to use by just signing up for an account. If you want to tap into their full potential, you have to pay for advertising. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. To compete in the digital marketplace, you must pay for advertising on the platforms to take advantage of their full presence. Whether it is pay-per-click on Google or targeted ads on Facebook or Instagram, you need a budget that will get you competitive.
We have touched on the basics to get your e-commerce marketing strategies moving in the right direction. There are many more nuances and skill sets required to develop an effective and robust program. Do your research, learn the skills and start developing your program.
Interested in learning more about EDK’s website development services? Give us a call at 818.488.1543 or email email@example.com!